- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 halibut fillets (about 4 oz. each)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon ouzo or other anise-flavored liqueur
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced or chopped tomatoes
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh oregano leaves
- calories 306
- caloriesfromfat 32 %
- protein 29 g
- fat 11 g
- satfat 1.4 g
- carbohydrate 21 g
- fiber 5.5 g
- sodium 675 mg
- cholesterol 36 mg
How to Make It
Heat a 12-in. nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat with 1 tbsp. oil. Rub halibut with 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Lightly brown fish in frying pan on one side only, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Add remaining oil to frying pan along with fennel and ouzo. Cook, stirring frequently, until light golden and almost tender, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute.
Add tomatoes, 1/2 cup water, chickpeas, remaining salt and pepper, and the oregano and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a steady simmer. Lay halibut fillets, browned side up, in sauce and simmer until fish is cooked through, 5 to 10 minutes.