This was a quick weeknight meal. It was tasty and easy to make. I served it with the hummus, which my family didn't like. I would make the pitas again but not the hummus.
Greek Steak Pitas
Serve a Mediterranean-inspired meal in minutes. These steak-filled pita sandwiches are stuffed with bright flavors including Greek seasoning, lemon juice, red onion, and feta cheese. Creamy hummus rounds out this meal.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 427
- Fat: 13.3g
- Saturated fat: 6.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 35.5g
- Carbohydrate: 39.1g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 53mg
- Iron: 6mg
- Sodium: 730mg
- Calcium: 215mg
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Greek seasoning (such as McCormick)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (1-pound) flank steak, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (6-ounce) package fresh baby spinach
- 4 (6-inch) pitas, cut in half
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 24 slices English cucumber
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag; add steak to bag. Marinate 3 minutes, turning once. Remove steak from bag; discard marinade. Sprinkle steak with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter and oil. Add steak; cook 5 minutes on each side or until desired doneness. Let stand 2 minutes. Cut steak across grain into thin slices.
- 2. Return pan to heat. Add juice, garlic, and spinach; sauté 1 minute. Remove from heat; add remaining salt.
- 3. Spoon 2 tablespoons spinach mixture into each pita half. Place 1 tablespoon onion, 3 cucumber slices, and 1 1/2 ounces steak in each pita half; sprinkle 1 tablespoon cheese in each pita half.
- Creamy hummus: Combine 1 cup rinsed and drained canned chickpeas, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 tablespoon tahini (roasted sesame seed paste), 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper in a food processor; process until well blended. Gradually add 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil; process until smooth. Serve with red pepper slices and baby carrots.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note