Good and easy weeknight meal. As another reviewer, I also sliced the steak before marinating. Used less than half of the lemon jc. in the spinach, just put enough in for my taste. Good flavors when everything comes together in the pocket;-)
Greek Steak Pitas
Serve a Mediterranean-inspired meal in minutes. These steak-filled pita sandwiches are stuffed with bright flavors including Greek seasoning, lemon juice, red onion, and feta cheese. Creamy hummus rounds out this meal.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 427
- Fat: 13.3g
- Saturated fat: 6.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 35.5g
- Carbohydrate: 39.1g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 53mg
- Iron: 6mg
- Sodium: 730mg
- Calcium: 215mg
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Greek seasoning (such as McCormick)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (1-pound) flank steak, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (6-ounce) package fresh baby spinach
- 4 (6-inch) pitas, cut in half
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 24 slices English cucumber
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag; add steak to bag. Marinate 3 minutes, turning once. Remove steak from bag; discard marinade. Sprinkle steak with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter and oil. Add steak; cook 5 minutes on each side or until desired doneness. Let stand 2 minutes. Cut steak across grain into thin slices.
- 2. Return pan to heat. Add juice, garlic, and spinach; sauté 1 minute. Remove from heat; add remaining salt.
- 3. Spoon 2 tablespoons spinach mixture into each pita half. Place 1 tablespoon onion, 3 cucumber slices, and 1 1/2 ounces steak in each pita half; sprinkle 1 tablespoon cheese in each pita half.
- Creamy hummus: Combine 1 cup rinsed and drained canned chickpeas, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 tablespoon tahini (roasted sesame seed paste), 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper in a food processor; process until well blended. Gradually add 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil; process until smooth. Serve with red pepper slices and baby carrots.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note