Greek Pocket Bread Sandwiches with Lamb
Norman A. Plate
Notes: To slice cucumbers quickly, use a food processor.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 471
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Protein: 42g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 5.2g
- Carbohydrate: 41g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Sodium: 729mg
- Cholesterol: 118mg
- 1 1/2 pounds ground lean lamb
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh or 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- About 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cucumbers (each 3/4 lb.)
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 pocket breads (about 6 in.), cut in half crosswise
- 1. In a bowl, mix lamb with garlic, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Shape mixture into 8 equal oblong patties, each about 1/4 inch thick.
- 2. Place patties on a rack in a broiler pan. Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat until meat is browned on each side and just barely pink in center (cut to test), 7 to 10 minutes total.
- 3. While lamb patties cook, peel cucumbers and thinly slice. Mix slices with yogurt, mint, and lemon juice to make a cucumber salad.
- 4. On each of 4 plates, place 2 lamb patties, 1/4 of the cucumber salad, and 2 pocket bread halves. Tuck meat into bread, adding cucumber salad and salt to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note