Greek Pocket Bread Sandwiches with Lamb
Norman A. Plate
Notes: To slice cucumbers quickly, use a food processor.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 471
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Protein: 42g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 5.2g
- Carbohydrate: 41g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Sodium: 729mg
- Cholesterol: 118mg
- 1 1/2 pounds ground lean lamb
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh or 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- About 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cucumbers (each 3/4 lb.)
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 pocket breads (about 6 in.), cut in half crosswise
- 1. In a bowl, mix lamb with garlic, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Shape mixture into 8 equal oblong patties, each about 1/4 inch thick.
- 2. Place patties on a rack in a broiler pan. Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat until meat is browned on each side and just barely pink in center (cut to test), 7 to 10 minutes total.
- 3. While lamb patties cook, peel cucumbers and thinly slice. Mix slices with yogurt, mint, and lemon juice to make a cucumber salad.
- 4. On each of 4 plates, place 2 lamb patties, 1/4 of the cucumber salad, and 2 pocket bread halves. Tuck meat into bread, adding cucumber salad and salt to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes