Greek Holiday Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 1 (6-ounce) jar maraschino cherries, undrained
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup quince jelly
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cognac
- Maraschino cherry halves, drained
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Combine flour and salt in a medium mixing bowl; cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle 5 to 6 tablespoons water evenly over surface of flour mixture; stir with a fork until dry ingredients are moistened, shape dough into a ball; chill.
- Drain cherries, reserving liquid; chop cherries. Combine cherries, reserved liquid, pecans, jelly, cinnamon, and Cognac in a medium mixing bowl; mix until thoroughly blended. Set aside.
- Roll half of pastry to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface; cut with a 3-inch round cutter. Place a heaping teaspoon of reserved cherry mixture in center of each cookie; overlap sides, forming a cylinder Insert a cherry half in each open end. Place 2 inches apart on lightly greased cookie sheets. Repeat procedure with remaining dough. Bake at 400° for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from cookie sheets, and cool on wire racks.
- Combine sugar, 1 cup water, honey, and lemon juice in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool glaze to room temperature; drizzle over cookies. Let dry completely before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note