I finally got around to making this salad for dinner tonight, and the kids and I thought it was great! The dressing was perfectly balanced, with great flavor (similar to a Caesar salad), and not too heavy. I didn't bother de-crusting the bread and thought it turned out just fine that way. I would agree with the suggestions of adding some cherry tomatoes, a few olives, and/or a little chopped cucumber, though certainly these additions are not essential as the salad stands quite well on its own. Definitely a keeper and I will be making this again; would be a great company dish as well. Looks impressive and doesn't take a lot of work.
Greek Chicken Bread Salad
Low in calories and packed with fresh flavors, this Greek Chicken Bread Salad uses ingredients you may already have on hand.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 325
- Fat: 14.2g
- Saturated fat: 3.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 30.5g
- Carbohydrate: 18g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 75mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 562mg
- Calcium: 88mg
- 3 ounces cubed French bread baguette, crust removed
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup sliced red bell pepper (about 1 large)
- 1/2 cup sliced pepperoncini peppers
- 1.5 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/3 cup)
- 1. Preheat broiler to high.
- 2. Place baguette cubes on a baking sheet; coat with cooking spray. Broil 2 minutes or until edges are browned, turning once.
- 3. Reduce oven temperature to 425°.
- 4. Combine oregano and next 5 ingredients (through crushed red pepper) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk; set aside.
- 5. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat; coat pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle chicken evenly with black pepper and salt. Place chicken in pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Place pan in oven, and bake at 425° for 10 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove pan from oven. Let chicken stand 5 minutes; slice thinly across the grain.
- 6. Add bread cubes, lettuce, bell pepper, pepperoncini peppers, and feta to bowl with oregano mixture; toss well. Place about 1 1/3 cups salad on each of 4 plates. Top each serving with about 3 ounces chicken.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note