Greek Almond Tea Cakes
Prep and Cook Time: about 1 1/2 hours. Notes: These cookies, less sweet and slightly richer than classic tea cakes, are baked in S shapes. Store them airtight for up to 3 days.
Yield: Makes about 40 cookies
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 90
- Calories from fat: 53%
- Protein: 1g
- Fat: 5.3g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 9.7g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Sodium: 47mg
- Cholesterol: 18mg
- 1 cup (1/2 lb.) butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups plus 1 1/2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup minced almonds
- 1. In a bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, or in a food processor, beat or whirl butter, 1 1/2 tablespoons powdered sugar, and the egg yolk and flour until smooth and well blended. Stir in almonds.
- 2. Shape dough into 1 1/4-inch balls and, using your fingers, roll each into a 2-inch rope. Set ropes on buttered or cooking parchment-lined 12- by 15-inch baking sheets. With your fingers, pinch ends in opposite directions to make S shapes.
- 3. Bake cookies in a 300° oven until pale golden, 20 to 25 minutes; if baking more than one pan at a time, switch pan positions halfway through baking. Let cool on sheets for 5 minutes.
- 4. Place remaining 1 1/3 cups powdered sugar in a shallow bowl. Gently turn warm cookies in sugar, a few at a time, then set on racks to cool. When cool, coat cookies again with powdered sugar.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per cookie.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note