I thought these were just ok. I didn't have mustard seeds so substituted some whole grain mustard. I admit I overcooked the meat a bit, bison is so lean and there seemed to be a dryness about the whole thing.
Great Plains Burger
The Great Plains Burger delivers deep corn essence in two ways—one is right in the patty with corn chips crumbled into bison meat, and the second is with a sweet, creamy fresh-corn mayo that brightens up the whole burger.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 27 Minutes
- Calories: 420
- Fat: 17.8g
- Saturated fat: 4.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Protein: 29.5g
- Carbohydrate: 35.6g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 64mg
- Iron: 5.1mg
- Sodium: 684mg
- Calcium: 110mg
- 1 ear shucked corn
- 1 small red onion, cut into 3/4-inch slices
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons canola mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 3/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 1/2 ounces corn chips (such as Fritos)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound lean ground bison
- 4 (1 1/2-ounce) onion rolls, toasted
- 1. Preheat grill to high heat.
- 2. Place corn and onion on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 9 minutes or until charred, turning corn occasionally and turning onion once. Cut kernels from ears of corn. Combine corn, mayonnaise, mustard seeds, vinegar, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a mini food processor; process until smooth.
- 3. Combine onion and adobo sauce.
- 4. Place chips in a food processor; pulse 15 times or until coarsely chopped. Combine chips, 1/4 teaspoon salt, sage, garlic powder, pepper, and bison; mix well. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions, gently shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Press a nickel-sized indentation in center of each patty. Place patties on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 3 minutes. Carefully turn patties; grill 3 minutes or until desired degree of doneness.
- 5. Place 1 patty on bottom half of each bun. Spread 1 tablespoon corn mixture over each patty. Top with onion mixture and top halves of buns.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note