I made this soup with left over baked ham. Added a little of the "ham fat" juice, omitted the celery and used celery salt. No beer, cilantro or oregano. (put chili powder on the side in case someone wanted some) added 1.5 cans of chicken broth and only one tsp.of the worcestershire. It was really good!! If it is too "watery" try adding some more broth.
Great Northern Bean Soup
Photo: James Carrier
The classic winter soup recipe, Great Northern Bean, is filled with hearty beans, bacon for flavor, and an assortment of vegetables and spices for a hearty meal that's sure to warm you up.
Yield: Makes 15 cups; 6 to 8 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 370
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Protein: 26g
- Fat: 7.4g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Carbohydrate: 48g
- Fiber: 12g
- Sodium: 257mg
- Cholesterol: 9mg
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced
- 1 onion (1/2 lb.), peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 carrot (1/4 lb.), peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh jalapeño chili
- 2 quarts fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups beer (12 oz.)
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse-ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire
- 6 cups drained canned or cooked Great Northern or other small white beans
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat, frequently stir bacon until almost crisp, 10 to 12 minutes. Discard all but about 2 tablespoons fat. Add onion, celery, carrot, and garlic.
- 2. Stir often until vegetables are limp, about 15 minutes. Add oregano, chili, broth, beer, pepper, Worcestershire, and beans. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer to blend flavors, 20 to 30 minutes. Add cilantro, then salt to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This