Great-Grandma Turano's Meatballs
We're always looking for a good meatball recipe, so we had to share this one from Jenny Rosenstrach's charming new cookbook, Dinner: A Love Story (out this month). And, of course, we gave it a Southern spin.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 (10-inch) metal skewers
- Bottled barbecue sauce
- Sandwich buns (optional)
- Combine ground beef, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, eggs, salt, fennel seeds, and pepper. Shape into 37 (1 1/2-inch) balls. Freeze up to 1 month. When ready to use, let stand at room temperature 10 minutes. Thread meatballs 1/8 inch apart onto metal skewers. Grill, covered with grill lid, at 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until centers are no longer pink, basting with barbecue sauce during last 3 minutes. Serve on skewers or buns.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note