Great Grandma Johnson's Swedish Rye Bread
Community Recipe from
- 1 3/4 cup(s) rye flour
- 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 stick(s) butter
- 2 cup(s) hot water
- 5 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 package(s) yeast in 1/4 cup warm water
- Place rye flour, salt, sugar and butter in a large bowl. Pour the hot water over and mix until the batter is smooth.
- Mix the yeast in the 1/4 cup of warm water and add to the rye mix.
- Add white flour until the dough is soft and not sticky.
- Knead for 5 to 10 minutes and put into a greased bowl to rise to twice its size-- about 45 minutes.
- Knead again and divide into loaves. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 35-45 minutes.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by ssmithwilkins and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Great Grandma Johnson's Swedish Rye Bread Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Breads