Photo: Mark Thomas
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 730
- Fat: 36g
- Saturated fat: 17g
- Protein: 8g
- Carbohydrate: 97g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 110mg
- Sodium: 440mg
- 2 1/4 cups sifted flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 sticks (1/2 lb.) plus 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 (9 oz.) box chocolate wafer cookies
- 1 (16 oz.) can chocolate frosting
- 1 tube black icing
- 1 (6 oz.) bag Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies
- 1 (7.25 oz.) bag Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies
- Candy rocks, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 13-by-9-inch pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, stir together cocoa and water; whisk in milk until smooth. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy; scrape bowl. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add flour and cocoa mixtures, alternating each 3 times, scraping bowl (batter may separate a bit).
- Spread batter in prepared pan. Bake, rotating halfway through, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Cool in pan for 1 hour. Run a knife around edge of cake and turn out onto a platter.
- Finely crush chocolate cookies in a plastic bag with a rolling pin or use a food processor. Cover top and sides of cake with chocolate frosting and sprinkle generously with cookie crumbs. Score top of cake into 12 equal rectangles.
- Pipe "RIP" and other scary words on Milano cookies with black icing; cut a slit in each square to insert a Milano or Chessman cookie for gravestones; add candy rocks, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note