I made this with skim milk and a mixture of parmesan and smoked cheddar cheese and it was fantastic. Its nice to have another option instead of potato's or rice. Will make this again.
Gratin of Cauliflower with Gruyère
Gruyère's nutty, earthy flavor is a nice match for subtle cauliflower, and crisp breadcrumbs add texture. Substitute broccoli for the cauliflower, if you prefer. You can prepare all the elements for the dish a day ahead, if necessary. Refrigerate the sauce, the cauliflower, and the breadcrumb mixture separately, and simply assemble before baking.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 161
- Calories from fat: 34%
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated fat: 3.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 9.7g
- Carbohydrate: 18g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 295mg
- Calcium: 233mg
- 1 medium head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into florets (about 2 pounds)
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/3 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Place cauliflower in a 2-quart broiler-safe baking dish lightly coated with cooking spray; coat cauliflower with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt; toss. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until almost tender. Cool 5 minutes.
- 3. Preheat broiler.
- 4. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat. Stir in panko. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese and chives.
- 5. Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until almost tender, stirring frequently. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk; bring to a boil. Cook 3 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in remaining 1/4 cup cheese, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, parsley, and pepper. Pour milk mixture over cauliflower mixture; toss. Top evenly with cheese mixture. Broil 3 minutes or until golden brown and thoroughly heated.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This