Perfect little kick! Went well with the burgers! Everyone loved the BBQ sauce! The sauce ended up on every thing from burgers, chicken and fries. Will be using this a lot this summer!
Grass-fed Burgers with Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Randy Mon
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 612
- Calories from fat: 50%
- Protein: 36g
- Fat: 34g
- Saturated fat: 14g
- Carbohydrate: 41g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Sodium: 1175mg
- Cholesterol: 112mg
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (about 3 chiles), plus 1 tbsp. sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/4 pounds grass-fed ground beef
- 2 teaspoons each kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 red onion, sliced 1/4 to 1/2 in. thick crosswise
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 sesame hamburger buns
- 4 slices ripe tomato
- 4 leaves butter or romaine lettuce
- 1. Make sauce: Purée all sauce ingredients in a food processor until very smooth.
- 2. Make burgers: In a bowl, combine beef and 1 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper (if using preformed burgers, sprinkle with salt and pepper). Form into 4 patties about 3/4 in. thick, making a slight depression in each to help keep burgers flat as they cook. Put on a plate, cover, and chill until ready to grill.
- 3. Preheat a grill for medium heat (350° to 450°; you can hold your hand 5 in. above cooking grate only 5 to 7 seconds).
- 4. Sprinkle onions with remaining salt and pepper and 1 tsp. oil. Grill, covered, until softened, turning once, 8 minutes total.
- 5. Meanwhile, rub burgers with 2 tsp. oil and grill, covered, turning once, about 6 minutes total for medium-rare. In the last few moments of cooking, lay a slice of cheese on each burger. Lay bun halves, cut side down, on grill to toast slightly.
- 6. Transfer buns to a platter and fill with burgers and onions. Spoon about 1 1/2 tbsp. barbecue sauce on top and add a slice of tomato and a lettuce leaf.
- Make ahead: Sauce: 1 week chilled.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per burger, with 1 1/2 tbsp. sauce and trimmings.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note