- 1 (5.3-ounce) package pure butter shortbread
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh red grapefruit juice
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons grated red grapefruit rind
- 3 red grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Process shortbread in a blender or food processor until graham cracker crumb consistency (about 1 1/3 cup crumbs).
- Stir together shortbread crumbs, 3 tablespoons sugar, and 2 tablespoons melted butter in a small bowl. Press mixture lightly into a greased 9-inch tart pan.
- Bake at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Set aside.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium-size heavy saucepan. Whisk in juice and egg yolks. Cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, 10 to 12 minutes or until mixture thickens and boils. Remove from heat; stir in 3 tablespoons butter and rind.
- Pour filling into prepared tart shell. Cover surface of filling directly with plastic wrap. Chill 2 1/2 hours.
- Place red grapefruit sections in an 8-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar, and chill until ready to assemble. Drain grapefruit.
- Arrange segments, with outer part of segments facing the edge, around border of tart. Arrange remaining segments around tart, slightly overlapping to cover filling completely. Serve immediately. Chill leftovers.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Walkers Pure Butter Shortbread and TexaSweet Ruby Red Texas grapefruit.
- To make ahead: Prepare the crust and filling up to 2 days ahead, but do not top with fruit. Top with grapefruit just before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note