Luckily I read the other reviews first so I doubled the recipe. It made just enough for 24 grape leaves. This is time consuming and not easy, but the results are worth it. I've never had grape leaves with currants, but the currants really work for this recipe.
Grape Leaves Stuffed with Rice, Currants, and Herbs
Make this dish the night before a gathering, refrigerate overnight, and serve at room temperature.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 3 stuffed grape leaves, 1 tablespoon yogurt, and 1 lemon wedge)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 88
- Calories from fat: 12%
- Fat: 1.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 2.7g
- Carbohydrate: 16.5g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 500mg
- Calcium: 72mg
- 24 large grape leaves
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 8 lemon wedges
- Rinse grape leaves with cold water; drain well. Pat dry with paper towels. Remove stems; discard. Set aside.
- y?y?rge nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add 1 cup chopped onion; cook 7 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add rice, green onions, and nuts; cook 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in water and next 7 ingredients (through cinnamon); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until rice is tender. Cool slightly.
- Spoon 1 rounded tablespoon rice mixture onto center of each grape leaf. Fold one side of leaf over filling. Fold opposite side of leaf over filling. Beginning at 1 short side, roll up leaf tightly, jelly-roll fashion. Steam grape leaves, covered, 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Cool to room temperature. Serve with yogurt and lemon wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers