I saw the picture and it made my mouth water for cracklin' cornbread. Had to try it! This is terrific! I never tried it with the butter-we always just used meat grease. lol This is terrific just as is!
Grannie's Cracklin' Cornbread
More From Southern Living
Total: 39 Minutes
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup cracklings*
- Place butter in a 9-inch cast-iron skillet, and heat in a 425° oven 4 minutes.
- Combine cornmeal and flour in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture.
- Stir together buttermilk, eggs, and cracklings; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Pour over melted butter in hot skillet.
- Bake at 425° for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- *1 cup cooked, crumbled bacon (12 to 15 slices) may be sustituted for cracklings.
- Grannie's Cracklin' Cakes: Prepare batter as directed above; stir in 1/4 cup butter, melted. Heat a large skillet coated with vegetable cooking spray over medium-high heat. Spoon about 1/4 cup batter for each cake into skillet; cook, in batches, 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads