I have made this several times and it is always a hit. Would rate it higher but I don't consider it something I would serve for a special occasion. It is very refreshing on a hot day.
Thomas J. Story
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 267
- Calories from fat: 3%
- Protein: 1.4g
- Fat: 1g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Carbohydrate: 66g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sodium: 5.3mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 2 pounds seeded chopped watermelon (about 3 lb. unpeeled)
- About 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1. In a 1- to 2-quart pan over high heat, combine 1 cup water, sugar, and lime peel and bring to a boil. Let cool, then pour through a fine strainer into a bowl.
- 2. In a blender, whirl watermelon and 1 cup of the lime syrup until smooth. If there are seeds, pour mixture through a fine strainer into a bowl. Stir in the lime juice. Add syrup and/or lime juice to taste (mixture will taste less sweet once frozen).
- 3. Pour purée into an 8-inch square baking pan. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until mixture has started to freeze at the edges but is still slushy, 2 to 3 hours. Stir the mixture thoroughly, scraping the sides down. Cover and freeze until solid, at least 8 hours.
- 4. To serve, scrape with a fork to make large flakes and spoon into chilled glasses or bowls.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Prep and Cook Time: 30 minutes, plus 8 hours to freeze.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Watermelon Granita Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Desserts