The strong flavor of this cake requires something light and fruity to contrast it. Instead of the suggested rum mousse frosting (which is very rummy) I mashed up strawberries with sugar and drizzled it over each cake slice. It was the perfect compliment!
Grandpa's Chocolate-Rum Cake
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mousse Frosting
- Garnish: chocolate shavings
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Add rum; beat until blended.
- Combine flour and next 5 ingredients; add to sugar mixture alternately with hot water, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition; stir in flavorings.
- Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round cakepans.
- Bake at 350° for 27 minutes (cake will not test quite done). Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread 1 cup Mousse Frosting between layers. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting. Garnish, if desired. Cover and chill 8 hours. Store in refrigerator.
The cake slices well after chilling 1 hour, but plan to refrigerate it overnight before serving to allow the flavors to mellow.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note