The strong flavor of this cake requires something light and fruity to contrast it. Instead of the suggested rum mousse frosting (which is very rummy) I mashed up strawberries with sugar and drizzled it over each cake slice. It was the perfect compliment!
Grandpa's Chocolate-Rum Cake
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mousse Frosting
- Garnish: chocolate shavings
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Add rum; beat until blended.
- Combine flour and next 5 ingredients; add to sugar mixture alternately with hot water, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition; stir in flavorings.
- Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round cakepans.
- Bake at 350° for 27 minutes (cake will not test quite done). Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread 1 cup Mousse Frosting between layers. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting. Garnish, if desired. Cover and chill 8 hours. Store in refrigerator.
The cake slices well after chilling 1 hour, but plan to refrigerate it overnight before serving to allow the flavors to mellow.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Cakes/Frostings