I am SO happy to come across this recipe again! Have made this many times, and it is amazing good. Hubby will be so happy to see this on the dinner table again! (The only thing I do differently is to peel the garlic & add more of the garlic.:)
We've streamlined a classic French dish, poulet grand-mère, so it comes together in little more than an hour--about half the time required for the original recipe. Prep and Cook Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes. Notes: We leave the garlic unpeeled, in keeping with the rustic spirit of this dish. Once cooked, the cloves can be squeezed out of their skins and spread on bread.
More From Sunset
1 Hour, 20 Minutes
- Calories: 772
- Calories from fat: 56%
- Protein: 57g
- Fat: 48g
- Saturated fat: 14g
- Carbohydrate: 25g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Sodium: 1013mg
- Cholesterol: 178mg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 chicken (4 to 5 lbs.), cut into 6 pieces (2 bone-in breast halves, 2 bone-in thighs, and 2 bone-in drumsticks)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions
- 6 large cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 pound baby Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed and halved
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon, sliced crosswise into 1/4-in.-wide pieces
- 1 pound cremini or button mushrooms, trimmed and cut into quarters
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed 4- to 5-qt. pot over medium-high heat. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper and add skin side down to pot. Cook until skin is crispy and deeply browned, about 12 minutes. Remove chicken from pot and set aside.
- 2. Pour off all but 2 tbsp. cooking fat, reduce heat to medium-low, and add onions, garlic, and thyme. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes, then add potatoes and bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is well browned, about 8 minutes. Pour off all but a thin layer of fat.
- 3. Add mushrooms and chicken stock, bring liquid to a boil, and cook until liquid is reduced by one-quarter. Arrange chicken, skin side up, on top of vegetables.
- 4. Transfer pot to oven and bake, uncovered, until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note