Grandmother Carter's Cornbread Dressing
- 14 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped sweet onion
- Cornbread Crumbles
- 1 (14-oz.) package herb-seasoned stuffing mix
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
- Vegetable cooking spray
How to Make It
Bring 8 cups chicken broth to a boil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; stir in chopped celery and onion. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 20 to 30 minutes or until celery and onion are very tender. Remove from heat, and stir in 4 cups chicken broth. Cool 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, stir together Cornbread Crumbles and next 2 ingredients in a very large bowl.
Preheat oven to 350°. Stir broth mixture, eggs, and next 4 ingredients into cornbread mixture until thoroughly combined. If needed, stir in up to 2 more cups chicken broth, 1/4 cup at a time, until mixture is slightly soupy.
Spoon mixture into 2 (13- x 9-inch) lightly greased (with cooking spray) baking dishes. Bake at 350° for 50 to 60 minutes or until done and top is light brown.
MAKE_AHEAD TIP Based on a treasured recipe from SL Test Kitchen Professional Pam Lolley's grandmother, this dressing freezes beautifully. Guests will never know you made it three weeks before serving.
We tested with Swanson Natural Goodness 33% Less Sodium Chicken Broth.