Grandma's Tomato Sauce
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 81
- Calories from fat: 6.7%
- Protein: 3.4g
- Fat: 0.6g
- Saturated fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrate: 17g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Sodium: 605mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 2 cans (28 oz. each) crushed tomatoes with basil and oregano
- 5 cans (6 oz. each) tomato paste
- 3 cups chopped Roma tomatoes (about 1 1/4 lb.)
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 5 dried bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In an 8- to 10-quart pan, combine 3 cups water, canned tomatoes with their liquid, tomato paste, Roma tomatoes, wine, onion, basil, garlic, bay leaves, oregano, and pepper.
- 2. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring often; reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced to 4 quarts, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- 3. Remove bay leaves and add salt to taste. Use hot or cool.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per cup.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sauces/Condiments