- 2 cans (28 oz. each) crushed tomatoes with basil and oregano
- 5 cans (6 oz. each) tomato paste
- 3 cups chopped Roma tomatoes (about 1 1/4 lb.)
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 5 dried bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- calories 81
- caloriesfromfat 6.7 %
- protein 3.4 g
- fat 0.6 g
- satfat 0.1 g
- carbohydrate 17 g
- fiber 3.8 g
- sodium 605 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
In an 8- to 10-quart pan, combine 3 cups water, canned tomatoes with their liquid, tomato paste, Roma tomatoes, wine, onion, basil, garlic, bay leaves, oregano, and pepper.
Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring often; reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced to 4 quarts, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Remove bay leaves and add salt to taste. Use hot or cool.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per cup.