Grandma's Red Cabbage
Grandma used more than 4 apples to take up liquid. You will have to taste for spices, sugar and vinegar. Use caution add only a little at a time and taste again unless it is perfect the first time! A little different Vegetable for the Thanksgiving table. Can be made ahead and smells great!
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 3 pound(s) red cabbage, remove bad leaves thinly sliced
- 4 apples, mcintosh peeled, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cloves or 15/20 whole cloves
- 3 tablespoon(s) vinegar
- 2 tablespoon(s) bacon or pork fat
- 1 stick(s) cinnamon
- 3 tablespoon(s) sugar
- 2 cup(s) water
- Place cabbage in a large pan. Pour boiling water over it, cover and let stand 5 to 10 mins. then drain. With cabbage back in pan, add fat, cloves, apples, cinnamon and water. Bring to a boil for a few minutes and then let simmer for 2 hours. Add salt and vinegar to taste.
- Can be made ahead and refrigerated for 2/3 days. Reheat on stovetop or in oven cassarole dish.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Julie0160 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note