Grandma's Red Cabbage
Grandma used more than 4 apples to take up liquid. You will have to taste for spices, sugar and vinegar. Use caution add only a little at a time and taste again unless it is perfect the first time! A little different Vegetable for the Thanksgiving table. Can be made ahead and smells great!
- 3 pound(s) red cabbage, remove bad leaves thinly sliced
- 4 apples, mcintosh peeled, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cloves or 15/20 whole cloves
- 3 tablespoon(s) vinegar
- 2 tablespoon(s) bacon or pork fat
- 1 stick(s) cinnamon
- 3 tablespoon(s) sugar
- 2 cup(s) water
- Place cabbage in a large pan. Pour boiling water over it, cover and let stand 5 to 10 mins. then drain. With cabbage back in pan, add fat, cloves, apples, cinnamon and water. Bring to a boil for a few minutes and then let simmer for 2 hours. Add salt and vinegar to taste.
- Can be made ahead and refrigerated for 2/3 days. Reheat on stovetop or in oven cassarole dish.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Julie0160 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note