Delish! Made these as a side for pulled pork. I cut the recipe in half: used (1) onion, 15 oz. can baked beans, a can of great northern beans, and a can of black beans. I also added a splash of bourbon with the brown sugar and vinegar. Very easy and tasty recipe.
Grandma Gwen's Beans
2012 Side Dish Smackdown Winner: Best Baked Beans
This baked bean recipe features four types of canned beans baked in a mixture of brown sugar, mustard, vinegar and bacon.
More From Southern Living
Total: 2 Hours, 5 Minutes
- 1 (1-lb.) package bacon slices
- 4 medium-size yellow onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 (16-oz.) cans butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-oz.) can lima beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16-oz.) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28-oz.) can baked beans
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cook bacon, in batches, in a large skillet over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving desired amount of drippings in skillet. (We reserved about 3 Tbsp.) Crumble bacon.
- 2. Sauté onions in hot drippings over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until onions are tender. Add brown sugar and next 4 ingredients. Cover and cook 20 minutes. Combine butter beans, next 3 ingredients, bacon, and onion mixture in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 1 hour.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note