Grand Floating Island
Yield: 8 servings
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 5 cups milk, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until soft peaks form; gradually add salt and 1/4cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Heat 4 cups milk in a large saucepan to simmering . Drop egg white islands by tablespoonfuls into simmering milk. Cook each island 2 minutes on each side or until slightly firm . Remove islands with a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Add remaining milk to hot milk in saucepan; heat to simmering. Combine egg yolks and 3/4 cup sugar in a medium mixing bowl; beat until thick and lemon colored. Gradually stir one-fourth of hot milk into yolk mixture; add to remaining hot milk, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, over low heat 20 minutes or until thickened. Let mixture cool slightly, and stir in vanilla. Chill mixture thoroughly.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 cup sugar evenly in a 10-inch cast iron skillet; place over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until sugar melts and turns light brown. Remove from heat.
- Hold 2 dinner forks back to back. Dip the forks into the syrup, and as the syrup runs off, pull the forks apart, allowing the threads to spin down on a sheet of waxed paper. Repeat procedure until desired number of threads are spun. (If the syrup hardens, reheat to the syrupy stage over medium heat.)
- Spoon chilled custard into a serving bowl. Mound islands on top of custard; top with spun sugar. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Puddings/Custards