Gram's Potato Rolls
Yield: 4 dozen (serving size: 1 roll)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 99
- Calories from fat: 9%
- Fat: 1g
- Saturated fat: 0.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 3.3g
- Carbohydrate: 18.9g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 111mg
- Calcium: 30mg
- 1 1/2 cups regular oats
- 2 cups cubed peeled baking potato
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup warm water (105° to 115°)
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 7 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon sesame or poppy seeds
- Place oats in a food processor, and process until ground. Spoon ground oats into a bowl; set aside.
- Place potato in a medium saucepan; cover with water, and bring to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes or until potato is tender. Place potato and cooking liquid in food processor, and process until smooth; set aside.
- Dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in 1/3 cup warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in pureed potato mixture, 1 cup water, milk powder, 1/4 cup sugar, oil, and salt. Add ground oats and 3 cups flour; beat at medium speed of a mixer until smooth. Stir in 3 1/2 cups flour to form a soft dough. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands.
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Punch dough down, and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half; cover one half tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate. Divide other half into 24 equal portions. Divide each portion into 3 equal pieces; shape each piece into a ball. Place 3 balls in each of 24 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Brush egg white over rolls, and sprinkle with seeds. Cover and let rise 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Uncover the dough; bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until golden. Remove remaining half of dough from refrigerator; uncover and let stand 15 minutes or until room temperature. Divide dough into 24 equal portions, and proceed as above.
- Note: To make 2 (9-inch) loaves, divide dough in half. Roll each into a 14 x 8-inch rectangle. Starting at short side, roll up each rectangle, pressing firmly to eliminate air pockets; pinch seam and ends to seal. Place loaves, seam sides down, in 2 (9 x 5-inch) loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Brush egg white over loaves, and sprinkle with seeds. Cover and let rise 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Uncover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes, shielding tops of loaves with foil after 25 minutes, if necessary.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads