Graham Cracker Bread
Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105° to 115°)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cinnamon graham cracker crumbs (about 5 full cracker sheets)
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chilled stick margarine, cut into small pieces
- 2/3 cup warm water (105° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Cooking spray
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water; let stand 5 minutes.
- Place 2 cups all-purpose flour and next 5 ingredients (all-purpose flour through salt) in a food processor; pulse 4 times. Add margarine; process 10 seconds. With processor on, slowly add yeast mixture and 2/3 cup water through food chute; process until combined. With processor on, add 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour through food chute, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough leaves sides of bowl and forms a ball. Process 15 additional seconds.
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Punch dough down; divide into 3 equal portions. Working with one portion at a time (cover remaining dough to keep from drying), shape each portion into a 12-inch rope. Place 3 ropes lengthwise on a large baking sheet; pinch ends together at one end to seal. Braid ropes; pinch loose ends to seal. Place in an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pan immediately; cool on a wire rack.
- Bread Machine Variation:
- Increase second listing of water from 2/3 cup to 1 cup; follow manufacturer's instructions for placing all dough ingredients in bread pan. Select cycle, and start bread machine.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads