Holy Yum! This bread is delish! I made it yesterday to spice up my lunch, and with peanut butter and jam, it's like sitting in grandma's kitchen. I made it without using a food processor or the orange peel, and it still is the best bread I've made yet!
Graham Cracker Bread
Photo: Howard L. Puckett; Styling: Fonda Shaia
Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 115
- Calories from fat: 17%
- Fat: 2.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 2.7g
- Carbohydrate: 21.3g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 120mg
- Calcium: 7mg
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105° to 115°)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cinnamon graham cracker crumbs (about 5 full cracker sheets)
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chilled stick margarine, cut into small pieces
- 2/3 cup warm water (105° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Cooking spray
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water; let stand 5 minutes.
- Place 2 cups all-purpose flour and next 5 ingredients (all-purpose flour through salt) in a food processor; pulse 4 times. Add margarine; process 10 seconds. With processor on, slowly add yeast mixture and 2/3 cup water through food chute; process until combined. With processor on, add 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour through food chute, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough leaves sides of bowl and forms a ball. Process 15 additional seconds.
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Punch dough down; divide into 3 equal portions. Working with one portion at a time (cover remaining dough to keep from drying), shape each portion into a 12-inch rope. Place 3 ropes lengthwise on a large baking sheet; pinch ends together at one end to seal. Braid ropes; pinch loose ends to seal. Place in an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pan immediately; cool on a wire rack.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Graham Cracker Bread Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Breads, Breakfast/Brunch
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Freezable, Kid-Friendly, Make-Ahead, Portable/Picnic
- CUISINE: American, New American
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Rice/Grains
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Cholesterol, Low Fat, Low Sodium, Low Saturated Fat
- COOKING METHOD: Food Processor, Bake
- OCCASION: Kwanzaa, Birthdays/Anniversaries
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light