literally best white cake i've ever had or made. it is SO easy to make (no folding in the egg whites!) and it is absolutely delicious. best out of at least 5 recipes that i've tried in the past year. friends even ask to just eat it without the frosting because its so delicious on its own! its light and fluffy and has an amazing crumb.
This recipe goes with Memorial Day Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting
More From Southern Living
Bake: 35 Minutes
Cool: 55 Minutes
Freeze: 30 Minutes
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Graduation Cake Decorations
- 1. Beat sugar and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until yellow disappears after each addition. Beat in lemon juice and vanilla.
- 2. Combine flour and baking soda in a small bowl; add to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at medium speed just until blended after each addition. Pour batter into a greased and floured 13- x 9-inch pan.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan to wire rack, and cool 45 minutes or until completely cool. Wrap in plastic wrap, and freeze 30 minutes. Place cake on a serving platter. Remove and reserve 1/4 cup Cream Cheese Frosting for decorations, and spread top and sides of cake evenly with remaining Cream Cheese Frosting. Top cake with Graduation Cake Decorations.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note