I've made this dish for the past two Thanksgivings and will make it again this year. Who doesn't like broccoli covered with cheese?
Gorgonzola Broccoli Casserole
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 156
- Calories from fat: 63%
- Protein: 5.5g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 6.8g
- Carbohydrate: 9.9g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Sodium: 370mg
- Cholesterol: 33mg
- 3 pounds broccoli
- 1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) butter, plus 1 tablespoon melted
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 packages (3 oz. each) cream cheese, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup crumbled gorgonzola or other blue cheese
- 2 cups 1/2-inch cubes French or other firm white bread (3 oz.)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, bring about 3 quarts water to a boil. Rinse broccoli and trim off and discard tough stem ends; if skin on stalks is tough, peel stalks. Cut broccoli into 1-inch pieces. Add to boiling water and cook just until barely tender when pierced, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain.
- 2. Rinse and dry pan. Add 1/4 cup butter to pan and melt over medium heat. Stir in flour and salt until smoothly blended; cook until bubbly, about 1 minute. Add milk and stir over medium-high heat until mixture is boiling and thickened, about 3 minutes. Add cream cheese and gorgonzola; whisk until smoothly blended. Stir in broccoli. Pour into a shallow 2 1/2- to 3-quart casserole.
- 3. In a blender or food processor, whirl bread cubes into coarse crumbs; you should have about 1 1/3 cups. In a small bowl, mix crumbs with 1 tablespoon melted butter. Sprinkle evenly over broccoli mixture.
- 4. Bake until casserole is hot in the center and crumbs are golden, 20 to 30 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles