Gorditas with Turkey Mole
- 2 cups masa harina
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Vegetable oil
- 1 cup refried beans or
- 1 cup drained and mashed Buzz's Pot of Beans
- Turkey Mole
- Stir together masa harina and broth in a large mixing bowl. Cover and let stand 30 minutes. Add shortening, flour, salt, and baking powder; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Divide dough into 12 golf-size balls. Arrange on wax paper, and cover with damp towels. Pat each ball of dough into a 3-inch circle. (Lightly oil fingers to keep mixture from sticking.) Pinch edges of circles to form a ridge, and press a well into each center to hold toppings. Cover with a damp towel to prevent dough from drying.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1/4 inch into a large skillet; heat to 350°. Fry gorditas, in batches, 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Dollop each gordita with 2 tablespoons refried beans; spoon 1 tablespoon Turkey Mole over beans on each gordita. (Reserve extra beans and mole for other uses.) Top gorditas with desired toppings, and garnish, if desired.
- Tip: Fill a squirt bottle with sour cream. Squeeze onto top of gordita.
- Note: Masa harina is corn flour traditionally used to make corn tortillas. It can be found in the ethnic foods section of larger grocery stores.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This