Gooey Angel Food Cake
Rich caramel sauce drizzled over angel food cake gets a fresh fruit topping before being served to waiting guests. This dessert recipe is a don't miss!
More From Health
- Calories: 241
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 55g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Iron: 0.0mg
- Sodium: 312mg
- Calcium: 76mg
- Caramel sauce:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup evaporated low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10-ounce) round angel food cake, cut into 10 slices
- 2 cups chopped fresh fruit (such as berries, mango, and kiwi)
- 1. To make the caramel sauce: Combine sugar and 1/4 cup water in a medium-size, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the lemon juice, and bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, about 5 minutes, until syrup turns golden. (Be careful not to let it burn.)
- 2. Remove syrup from heat. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the butter until melted. Pour milk into a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH 30 seconds. Gradually stir milk into caramel until blended. (Caramel will begin to harden.)
- 3. Return caramel to mediumhigh heat, and cook, stirring often, 1 minute, until hardened caramel has dissolved. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla and salt (makes about 3/4 cup sauce).
- 4. Top cake slices with fruit, and drizzle with warm sauce.
- Quick tip: Make the caramel sauce ahead of time and store in the fridge for up to 5 days. Serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This