Photo: Marge Perry; Treats: David Bonom and Marge Perry
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 cup brewers yeast
- 1/3 cup natural chunky peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a large shallow baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2. Combine the flour, wheat germ and brewers yeast in a medium bowl. Whisk together the peanut butter, egg, broth and oil in a separate bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir with a spoon or rubber spatula until a rough dough forms. Knead the dough in the bowl 5-6 times until it comes together.
- 3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and roll to a 1/4-inch thickness. With a 3-inch dog bone shaped cookie cutter, cut out treats and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Press all the scraps together, kneading once or twice, then roll out to 1/4-inch thickness and cut out more treats; repeat if necessary.
- 4. Bake treats until lightly browned and fairly hard, rotating the pans from top to bottom once, about 30-35 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely; biscuits will harden as they cool. Store in an airtight container.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Good-Dog Treats Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes
- PUBLICATION: MyRecipes