So I made some amendments to the recipe and it was fabulous. I used half the pasta called for, used a nitrite/nitrate free organic peparoni instead of the prosciutto, a tad less red pepper and a tad more cheese and used butter beans instead of chickpeas. It was to die for and I will be making it again! --yes I realize I pretty well made a different dish but hey it turned out well!
Gomiti with Broccoli Rabe, Chickpeas, and Prosciutto
Ask your butcher or deli manager to give you the end of the prosciutto for this dish. It is much easier to cut into strips and tends to be meatier. Gomiti is similar in shape to elbow macaroni. Grana Padano is a hard cheese that is usually found with Parmesan cheese near the deli section in the grocery store.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 374
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Fat: 9.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 17.4g
- Carbohydrate: 56.4g
- Fiber: 5.9g
- Cholesterol: 14mg
- Iron: 3.2mg
- Sodium: 767mg
- Calcium: 126mg
- 6 quarts water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pound uncooked gomiti (short, curled, tube-shaped pasta)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced garlic (about 10 to 12 garlic cloves)
- 1 (3-ounce) prosciutto end piece, cut into (1/4-inch-wide) julienne strips
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 (16-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 10 cup coarsely chopped broccoli rabe (about 1 [1-pound] bunch)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Grana Padano cheese
- Bring 6 quarts water and 2 teaspoons salt to a boil in a large stockpot. Stir in pasta; partially cover, and return to a boil, stirring frequently. Cook 8 minutes or until pasta is almost al dente, stirring occasionally. Drain pasta in a colander over a bowl, reserving 2 cups cooking water.
- While pasta cooks, heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add garlic and prosciutto; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add pepper; cook 2 1/2 minutes or until prosciutto is crisp, stirring frequently. Add reserved 2 cups cooking water and chickpeas; bring to a boil. Add broccoli rabe (do not stir); cover, reduce heat, and simmer 7 minutes or until broccoli rabe is tender. Uncover; simmer 15 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Add pasta, and cook 1 minute or until pasta is al dente, tossing to combine. Remove from heat; stir in cheese. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note