- 3 pounds breakfast sausages or other fresh pork sausages
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 pounds medium shallots, peeled
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to Make It
Prick the sausages all over with a fork. Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the sausages and cook over moderately low heat until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of fat. Add the shallots and wine and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the shallots are tender and the wine has reduced slightly, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Wine Recommendation: A medium-bodied white Rhône with honeyed fruit will echo the rich sausages and sweet shallots. Try the 1998 Jean-Luc Columbo Les Figuières Côtes-du-Rhône Blanc.