Golden Potato-Leek Soup with Cheddar Toasts
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups thinly sliced leek (about 3 medium)
- 6 cups cubed peeled Yukon gold potato (about 2 1/4 pounds)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (14-ounce) cans organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
- 2 thyme sprigs
- Cheddar Toasts:
- 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut sourdough French bread baguette
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Remaining Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Thyme sprigs (optional)
- calories 299
- caloriesfromfat 25 %
- fat 8.6 g
- satfat 4.7 g
- monofat 2.7 g
- polyfat 0.6 g
- protein 7.5 g
- carbohydrate 48.4 g
- fiber 3.9 g
- cholesterol 25 mg
- iron 2 mg
- sodium 660 mg
- calcium 113 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 375°.
To prepare soup, melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add leek; cook 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally (do not brown).
Add potatoes, water, salt, broth, and 2 thyme sprigs. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or until potatoes are very tender.
To prepare cheddar toasts, place baguette slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 7 minutes or until toasted. Turn slices over; coat with cooking spray, and sprinkle 1 tablespoon cheese over each slice. Bake 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Sprinkle evenly with red pepper.
Remove pan from heat; discard thyme sprigs. Partially mash potatoes with a potato masher; stir in cream. Sprinkle with black pepper. Serve with cheddar toasts. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.