2013 reviewer is correct--don't get soggy proscuitto or other meat (I used bacon). Just crisp it quickly and add it in with the milk and eggs. I've made this otherwise just as written, but today I made it with leftover everything bagels, havarti dill cheese, bacon, and a mix of vidalia and red onions. Either way it's good! Please use only certified humanely raised pork.
Golden Onion Strata with Gruyère and Prosciutto
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 245
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 7.1g
- Saturated fat: 3.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 16.7g
- Carbohydrate: 28.1g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 539mg
- Calcium: 289mg
- 4 cups chopped Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 1 cup (4 ounces) very thin slices prosciutto or ham, chopped
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) carton egg substitute
- 8 cups (1/2-inch) cubed French bread (about 9 ounces)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gruyère, Jarlsberg, or Swiss cheese
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and prosciutto, and sauté 5 minutes or until onion begins to brown. Add water; cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes. Uncover and simmer 30 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Cool.
- Combine the milk, mustard, pepper, and egg substitute in a large bowl, and stir with a whisk until mixture is well-blended. Stir in the onion mixture. Add bread, tossing gently to coat.
- Arrange half of the bread mixture in a single layer in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese, and top with remaining bread mixture. Cover strata, and chill 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Uncover strata. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese; bake an additional 20 minutes or until set.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Golden Onion Strata with Gruyère and Prosciutto Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables