Very good! The only difference I did was apply the melted butter about 15 mins. into cooking time on top. That helped the noodles not dry out on top as bad. I also used more cheese then the recipe calls for because we love cheese. I also only baked for 30 mins, opposed to the 45..I think that is what also causes it to dry out waaay too quickly.
Golden Macaroni and Cheese
This homemade baked macaroni and cheese recipe beats the boxed kind any day of the week. For a divine main dish, stir in chopped cooked ham before baking, and then sprinkle top with chopped cooked bacon before serving.
- 1 (8-ounce) package elbow macaroni (about 2 cups uncooked macaroni)
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 2 (10-ounce) blocks sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 4 1/2 cups) and divided*
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs (4 slices, crusts removed)
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain well. Set aside.
- Place milk, flour, and onion salt in a quart jar; cover tightly, and shake vigorously 1 minute.
- Stir together flour mixture, 3 1/2 cups cheese, and macaroni.
- Pour macaroni mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish or 2 (11-inch) oval baking dishes. Sprinkle evenly with breadcrumbs and remaining 1 cup cheese; drizzle evenly with melted butter.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- *20 ounces loaf pasteurized prepared cheese product, shredded or cut into small cubes, may be substituted. Omit breadcrumbs if using prepared cheese product.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Kraft Cracker Barrel Sharp Cheddar Cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note