Golden Chicken Soup
- 1 (5-pound) stewing hen, cut up
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 gallon water
- 1 pound carrots, scraped and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound parsnips, cleaned and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 stalks celery, cleaned and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large bunch fresh parsley
- Combine chicken, onion, salt, pepper, and water in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add carrots, parsnips, and celery; stir well. Place parsley on top of soup; cover and simmer an additional 3 hours.
- Remove chicken and vegetables from soup; set aside. Discard parsley. Strain broth through several layers of damp cheesecloth. Remove chicken from bones, and coarsely chop; return chicken and vegetables to strained broth. Place over medium heat, and cook until thoroughly heated.
- Ladle soup into individual serving bowls; serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note