Golden Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup fresh or frozen English peas
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Sweet Potato Crust
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a medium saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Drain.
- Combine cooked vegetables, chicken, and parsley in a shallow 2 1/2-quart casserole. Set mixture aside.
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan; blend in flour. Cook over low heat until bubbly, stirring constantly. Gradually add broth and half-and-half; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Stir in salt and pepper. Pour over vegetables and chicken in casserole.
- Top with Sweet Potato Crust. Turn pastry edges under, and press firmly to rim of casserole to seal. Cut slits in top of pastry. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until pastry is browned.
- Note: Use excess pastry for decorative design.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note