Golden Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
Cooking the potatoes an additional 30 seconds after they've been drained allows excess water to steam off, creating fluffier mashed potatoes.
More From Southern Living
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups water
- 2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Cook garlic in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Add 6 cups water and next 3 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook 20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain potatoes; return to Dutch oven. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Add buttermilk and remaining ingredients; mash with a large fork to desired consistency.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note