Golden Beet and Potato Salad
Roxanne Chan puts a fresh spin on classic potato salad by adding summery golden beets and watercress. Prep and Cook Time: about 45 minutes.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 129
- Calories from fat: 33%
- Protein: 3.4g
- Fat: 4.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Carbohydrate: 19g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Sodium: 96mg
- Cholesterol: 4.8mg
- 1 pound golden beets (1 3/4 in. wide, greens trimmed before weighing)
- 1 pound red thin-skinned potatoes (1 1/4 in. wide), scrubbed and cut in half
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces watercress (2 qt.)
- Crumbled browned bacon
- 1. In a 6- to 8-quart pan over high heat, bring 3 quarts water to a boil. Add beets, reduce heat to medium-high, cover, and cook for 10 minutes. Add potatoes to the beets, cover again,and cook until both are tender when pierced, about 10 minutes longer. Drain and let cool. Peel beets, then slice into 1/4-inch-thick half-moons.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, mayonnaise, vinegar, onion, parsley, horseradish, and garlic. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix dressing into the potatoes.
- 3. Rinse watercress. Pick tender sprigs from tough stems and cut into 3- to 4-inch lengths. Arrange sprigs on a platter. Top with potatoes, then arrange beets over mixture. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads