- 8 ounces uncooked whole-wheat penne (tube-shaped pasta)
- 2 (8-ounce) golden beets with greens
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup water, divided
- 1/3 cup organic vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup dry-roasted unsalted almonds
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 ounces fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- calories 419
- fat 16 g
- satfat 3.1 g
- monofat 8.6 g
- polyfat 2.1 g
- protein 15.7 g
- carbohydrate 55.7 g
- fiber 10 g
- cholesterol 9 mg
- iron 4.2 mg
- sodium 596 mg
- calcium 254 mg
How to Make It
Cook pasta according to the package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain.
Remove greens and stems from beets; rinse and drain. Coarsely chop greens and stems to measure 4 cups. Peel beets, cut in half vertically, and cut into 1/8-inch slices.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add beets; sauté 3 minutes. Add beet greens and stems, 1/2 cup water, broth, salt, and pepper; cover. Reduce heat to medium; simmer 8 minutes or until beets are tender.
Combine remaining 1 tablespoon oil, basil, almonds, and garlic in a food processor; process until smooth. Add cheese and remaining 1/4 cup water; process until blended. Add pasta, pesto, and lemon juice to beet mixture; toss to combine.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.