Delicious, light soup! The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is that it's a little bland as it is. I added 1/4-1/2 cup chopped, fresh cilantro which complimented the buttery taste of the beets; and I used 5 cloves of fresh garlic. It fits the bill for a light supper when you don't want something heavy! I served this soup with whole wheat sour dough toast and a salad. My husband loved it, and I'll definitely make it again. This would also be a great "company's coming" soup and can be a substantial main meal with added navy beans or chicken. If you've ever wondered what to do with fresh beet greens, you won't be disappointed!
Golden Beet and Beet Greens Soup
Make the most of your fresh farmers' market beets with this soup, which uses the delicious leaves as well as the beets themselves. Time: 1 1/4 hours.
More From Sunset
1 Hour, 15 Minutes
- Calories: 121
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Protein: 2.7g
- Fat: 3.6g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrate: 20g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sodium: 1473mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 3 golden beets with leafy tops (1 1/2 lbs.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small (6 oz.) red onion, sliced lengthwise
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Trim leafy tops off beets, leaving 1 in. of stems attached. Wash beets and leaves, discarding tough stems. Put beets in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, covered; reduce heat and simmer until beets are tender when pierced, 35 to 45 minutes. Drain and let cool. Remove skin and stems, then cut beets thinly crosswise. Cut beet leaves crosswise into thin shreds. Set aside.
- 2. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add broth and sliced beets. Bring to a boil. Stir in reserved beet greens and cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Add more broth if you like. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note