Love polenta. Skipped the cream cheese and used 4oz Trader Joe's garlic & herb goat cheese (less sodium than cream cheese). Added chopped red and orange bell peppers (OK, and half a jalapeno) for color and flavor because I'm going to be slicing and frying the leftovers. I don't do kale. ever.
Goat Cheese Polenta with Sautéed Kale
We love the versatility of this 25-minute meatless entrée. Goat Cheese Polenta with Sautéed Kale is a hearty choice for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 25 Minutes
- Calories: 378
- Fat: 17.1g
- Saturated fat: 4.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3g
- Protein: 13.9g
- Carbohydrate: 42.5g
- Fiber: 5.1g
- Cholesterol: 58mg
- Iron: 4.4mg
- Sodium: 381mg
- Calcium: 183mg
- 3 1/4 cups water, divided
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking polenta
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled and divided
- 1 ounce 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced cremini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups chopped Lacinato kale (about 1 bunch)
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1. Bring 3 cups water and thyme to a boil in a medium saucepan. Gradually add polenta, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Reduce heat to medium; cook 6 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Discard thyme sprig. Combine 1 ounce goat cheese, cream cheese, and egg in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until almost smooth. Add egg mixture to polenta, stirring to combine. Remove pan from heat. Line an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish with plastic wrap, allowing plastic wrap to extend over edges of dish; coat plastic wrap with cooking spray. Spoon polenta into dish, spreading evenly. Cover and keep warm.
- 2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion, red pepper, garlic, and mushrooms; sauté 7 minutes or until tender. Add wine; cook 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove mushroom mixture from pan; keep warm.
- 3. Return pan to medium heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add remaining 1/4 cup water, kale, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until tender.
- 4. Invert polenta onto a plate; remove plastic wrap. Cut into 4 squares. Cut each square into 2 triangles. Place 2 triangles on each of 4 plates; top with 1/2 cup mushroom mixture and 1/2 cup kale. Sprinkle remaining 1 ounce goat cheese and pine nuts evenly over kale.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note