This was delicious, and would have been five stars if the portion size had been more accurate! I measured out my servings with a measuring cup and still got < 3 full servings. I made two small changes. I couldn't find broccoli rabe in my grocery this time, so I used chopped fresh mustard greens. It was delicious this way! I think any winter green would be wonderful... kale, chard, whatever you can find. I do think a sturdy green is important... spinach wouldn't be as good in this dish. The other change I made was to add the juice of half a lemon at the end right before serving. This really brightened up the flavors in the dish. Even my 4 year old liked it! I served this with browned links of Beeman's Chicken sausage with Artichoke and Mozzerella. Delicious! Glad I served a meat with it... this would have been a nice light supper, but we need a little more substance in this house. But even with the sausage I felt like it was very reasonable calorie-wise. A winner!
Gnocchi with Broccoli Rabe, Caramelized Garlic, and Parmesan
Keep an eye on the garlic to be sure it browns but doesn't burn, which can make it unpleasantly bitter. Blanching the broccoli rabe helps tame its bitterness. Total time: 25 minutes.
Yield: 4 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 281
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 8.7g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 9.9g
- Carbohydrate: 41.8g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 806mg
- Calcium: 134mg
- 3/4 pound broccoli rabe (rapini), trimmed
- 1 (16-ounce) box vacuum-packed gnocchi (such as Vigo)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. Cook broccoli rabe in boiling water 4 minutes. Remove broccoli rabe with a slotted spoon, and place in a colander; drain. Add gnocchi to pan; cook 3 minutes or until done. Drain gnocchi in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid.
- 2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic to pan; cook 3 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Add broccoli rabe, gnocchi, and reserved cooking liquid to pan; cook 2 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper. Place 1 1/4 cups gnocchi mixture in each of 4 shallow bowls; top each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes