Gluten-Free Chocolate Cream Pie
I often make a chocolate cream pie for holiday gatherings because it seems just the right amount of decadence to properly celebrate the season. Here, I've come up with a slightly crumbly hazelnut-cocoa crust that is suitably gluten-free as well as utterly addictive. Source: http://www.npr.org/2012/12/18/167544018/a-gluten-free-holiday-table
Yield: 10 servings
Community Recipe from
- 2.5 cup(s) hazelnuts toasted
- 1/4 cup(s) sugar
- 1 tablespoon(s) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoon(s) butter melted
- 2/3 cup(s) sugar
- 1/4 cup(s) cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 cup(s) whole milk
- 7 ounce(s) bittersweet chocolate melted
- 2 tablespoon(s) butter softened
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- For crust, in a food processor, process hazelnuts, sugar and cocoa powder until fine. Place in a bowl and add melted butter. Press onto bottom and up side of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake until slightly crisp, about 25 minutes, and cool on a rack.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. In a 3-quart heavy saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt and yolks until combined well. Add milk in a stream, whisking. Bring to a boil over moderate heat, whisking, then reduce heat and simmer, whisking, 1 minute (filling will be thick).
- Force filling through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, then whisk in chocolate, butter and vanilla. Cover surface of filling with a buttered round of wax paper and cool completely, about 2 hours.
- Spoon filling into crust and chill pie, loosely covered, at least 6 hours before serving.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by jblack2012 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Gluten-Free Chocolate Cream Pie Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts