- 2 pounds turnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 1/2 cups frozen pearl onions
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons cane vinegar, divided*
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 3/4 cup cane syrup
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
How to Make It
Bring first 4 ingredients, 1 Tbsp. vinegar, and water to cover to a boil in a Dutch oven. Cook, stirring occasionally, 12 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are just tender; drain.
Cook butter and next 4 ingredients in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until butter melts and spices are fragrant. Add turnip mixture; sauté 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned and tender. Discard bay leaf and cinnamon.
Stir in cane syrup, broth, and remaining 2 Tbsp. vinegar, and cook, stirring often, 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened and vegetables are coated. Add salt to taste.
*Apple cider may be substituted.
Note: We tested with Steen's Pure Louisiana Cane Vinegar.