Glazed Sweet Potatoes with Curried Onions
- 5 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 1/2 cups fresh carrot juice (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1. In a very large saucepan, steam the sweet potatoes just until tender, about 12 minutes. Spread the steamed sweet potatoes in a large shallow baking dish and let cool slightly.
- 2. In a large skillet, melt the butter in the oil. Add the onions and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the curry powder and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 4 minutes longer. Add the carrot juice and simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Pour the curried onions over the sweet potatoes.
- 3. Preheat the oven to 425°. Bake the sweet potatoes in the upper third of the oven until hot, about 25 minutes, then serve.
- Make Ahead: The sweet potatoes can be prepared through Step 2 and refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before baking.
- Notes: Fresh carrot juice is available in health food markets and some large supermarkets.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables