- 5 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 1/2 cups fresh carrot juice (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to Make It
In a very large saucepan, steam the sweet potatoes just until tender, about 12 minutes. Spread the steamed sweet potatoes in a large shallow baking dish and let cool slightly.
In a large skillet, melt the butter in the oil. Add the onions and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the curry powder and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 4 minutes longer. Add the carrot juice and simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Pour the curried onions over the sweet potatoes.
Preheat the oven to 425°. Bake the sweet potatoes in the upper third of the oven until hot, about 25 minutes, then serve.
Make Ahead: The sweet potatoes can be prepared through Step 2 and refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before baking.
Notes: Fresh carrot juice is available in health food markets and some large supermarkets.